Monday, July 30, 2012

AARP Raises Awareness of Senior Hunger to 2.5 Million Members

From the AARP Bulletin, published July 1, 2012
by Winnie Yu
 Two years ago, a social worker encouraged Louiza Crosby to apply for food stamps. "I had never applied before because I didn't think I qualified," said Crosby, 75, of the Bronx. "I have a lot of pride, and I didn't want to go on them."

As it turned out, Crosby was eligible to receive $200 a month in food stamps. "There have been days when I didn't know what I'd do without them," said the retired housekeeper whose only income is from Social Security. "Now, I'm able to get fresh vegetables, meat and liver, which helps with my blood count."

As many as a million older New Yorkers may be eligible to receive food stamps, said Linda Bopp, executive director of Hunger Solutions New York, but only about half are enrolled in the program. The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program - called food stamps in New York — is a federal program administered by states that helps low-income people buy groceries.

"Malnutrition has been found to affect one in four older Americans living at home and is a factor in half of all hospital admissions and readmissions of older people," Bopp said. "Good health depends on good nutrition. Seniors, in particular, need a healthy diet to prevent sickness, manage chronic diseases, or heal after an injury."

The AARP Bulletin publication is delivered directly to 2.5 million AARP members throughout New York State.

To apply for SNAP or to find out if you or someone you care about may qualify, visit FoodHelpNY.org

No comments:

Post a Comment